Not sure which apprenticeship to apply for? Click here.
IT Support Apprentice
Attributes we look for in all candidates:
- Friendly and helpful attitude.
- Genuine interest in the field of IT & computing.
- Ability to learn and assimilate new information quickly.
- Ability to build good rapport with clients and colleagues.
- Non Smoking (see WHO policy at
NB E-Cigarettes are also not to be smoked at Onega or Client offices.
- Living within one hour of Onega’s office at E14 0FN (or E14 0JY if you check Google Maps/satnav)
- Ability to self-start and spot opportunities as well as adding value and working well within
- Ability to work within the rules and guidelines of the Company Handbook, as amended
from time to time.
- Must be of solid integrity and CRB / capable of security clearance as needed.
- Willing to work flexibly and ‘go the extra mile’ as needed to deliver excellence in customer
- Compliance with company health and safety policies and best practice.
Primary support engineers are at the initial interface of service delivery between Onega and our
clients, and responsible for logging and assisting with problem resolution as well as performing
routine administration tasks related mainly to single user issues and predominantly around the
This role does not assume an extensive background in IT, but any previous experience will be
valuable. Good basic education, numeracy and strong oral and written language skills are a must.
You must be able to comply with the company’s standards for conduct in the workplace and outside,
and willing to undergo security clearance. A genuine interest in computing and dedication to
customer service are essential in this role if you want to get on and succeed.
Starting salary is £12,000. Once Technical and non-technical competencies are mastered salary
increases to £14,000 per annum.
In this primary level role, staff are normally be expected to work a 35 hour week. Hours can be
varied by flexitime and overtime, and part-time working is possible. NB The time recording system
is used in payroll processing so it is important that time is fully logged. Time must be logged up to
date weekly and can be entered on average within 48 hours of work having being done. Work which
is logged and approved (and overtime) is paid, time is not paid if it cannot be demonstrated. IE Log
your time efficiently or you don’t get paid.
Skills / Capabilities & Competencies
Technical Skills Required to master Onega L1 Engineering:
- Be able to answer calls politely, and where a technical call be able to log a ticket accurately
and efficiently on the phone with a client, relay or update job notes and transfer calls as
appropriate to another member of the team.
- Monitor the helpdesk email queue and log tickets as appropriate and ensure that these are
entered for further action as appropriate.
- Help to organise collections and deliveries as required to and from clients and suppliers
using the couriers with whom Onega has an account and selecting the most appropriate and
an efficient route for a given trip, ensure good and clear communications.
- Help take in equipment deliveries, unboxing and setup of new computers etc. help to keep
the office tidy – this includes helping to empty bins, and break down the many cardboard
boxes that computers and other equipment is delivered in, and taking down to the
appropriate recycling bins & bringing up post from the post room daily.
- Perform basic administrative functions as directed on clients systems using standard
procedures. Eg creating user accounts, resetting passwords etc.
- To accurately and efficiently create and process Purchase and Sales Orders in Sage to
purchase equipment for clients as directed.
- To be happy working at Onega’s office, remotely or onsite with clients as necessary and
- To be able to order standard phone lines and Internet services for clients on behalf of
Onega’s clients once trained to do so.
- To enter information into the company database (CRM system) to keep records up to date or
- Monitor supplies & consumables status of onsite equipment (printer paper, toner etc) and replenish as required.
Soft Skills and attributes:
- Generally being as helpful as possible and picking up new skills wherever relevant
- Demonstrated good productive use of time
- Good rapport with clients
- Positive attitude.
- Positive client feedback & peer review
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish standard tasks efficiently and in minimal time.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and gain recognised certifications – work towards
full L1 skillset.
- Good personal presentation and timekeeping, use of clean and polite English language.
- Participation in company events and formal evenings (eg dining out).
- Compliance with company standards and handbook as revised from time to time.
- Seeing tasks through to completion and good follow up and communications with clients
- Ability to cope with varying levels and attempts at humour (see next item).
- Use of tea and coffee machines.
- 20 days holiday on top of national public holidays (pro-rata if not full time).
- Company Pension Scheme.
- Access to Online Library (Safari Bookshelf) for further leaning.
- A desktop computer with dual monitors on which to provide support to clients and further your IT skills.
Studio V, Container City, Building 48, Trinity Buoy Wharf, Docklands, London, E14 0FN
276 total views, 4 today