Not sure which apprenticeship to apply for? Click here.
x2 ICT Apprentice Network Assistant at Charles Darwin School in Westerham
Charles Darwin School is a highly successful co-educational comprehensive school for students aged 11-18 which has been serving the local community since 1973. It is one of two schools operated by Charles Darwin Academy Trust; the other school is Biggin Hill Primary School.
Charles Darwin is a “good” school (Ofsted 2018) with an ethos that encourages academic rigour, high expectations and a well-disciplined approach to learning. The school is very popular and has 1267 students including the Sixth Form.
Set in the heart of the green belt and on the edge of Biggin Hill, yet within easy travelling distance to London, the school is surrounded by open spaces. The school has extensive sports and community facilities which include floodlit tennis courts, a multi-gym and a floodlit 3G pitch. The school also runs the Darwin Leisure Centre which is located on the school site.
At the heart of the school are its distinctive ethos and a shared vision which are supported by the staff, students, parents and governors. This ethos and vision have helped to create a very strong caring and cohesive community based on the enduring values of high achievement, friendship, respect and compassion for others. This philosophy is supported and evidenced by the excellent relationships which exist between the staff and students. The school enjoys a low staff turnover and is able to attract and retain well qualified and committed staff. There is an excellent programme of support for both new and experienced staff.
Some of the many benefits staff enjoy are free parking, free tea/coffee at break, child-care vouchers, a cycle to work scheme and the opportunity to join outstanding residential trips such as trips to Iceland, Zanzibar and the annual ski-trip.
We are looking to recruit an ICT apprentice Network Assistant to join a friendly, experienced and busy ICT Office. Ideally, the candidates will have some experience of working in an educational environment, but this is not essential. Experience with Microsoft, Apple MACs and printers would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be required to help under the direction of the network manager to look after the day-to-day running of the school’s network and its devices. This is a varied and interesting role.
The key requirements are
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment are pre-requisites as is a willingness to play an active role in the life of the school.
- If you take pride in your work and “get things done” we would like to hear from you. This post would suit a school leaver looking for gap year employment.
The successful candidate will be responsible to the ICT Network Manager who is supported by an ICT Network Administrator.
Specific duties are detailed in the attached job description.
Hours are 08.00 – 16.00 Monday to Friday for 44 weeks per year (term time plus 27 days to be worked during school holidays). Please note that holidays during term time are not permitted.
We will offer a competitive salary which will be according to the level of previous relevant experience.
THE ICT SUPPORT TEAM
The ICT Support Team is responsible for the provision and management of the school’s ICT facilities. This includes the wired and wireless infrastructure, data servers, application software, hardware including computers, printers, whiteboards and projectors, Internet and email provision, remote access and CCTV camera management.
The demands on the team are great and continue to grow as new initiatives come online. Paramount to the role is an understanding that the team support teaching and learning through the provision and support of ICT services.
The school has approximately 1500 users and over 700 devices (not including byod). There is a mixture of Windows and Mac computers; the Windows computers run Windows 7 and Office 2013 and the MAC computers have various Apple OS systems. The server environment is a mixture of VMWare virtualised and physical servers, most running Server 2008 R2. There is a Meru managed Wi-fi solution and Citrix remote access. The school is a member of the LGfL network which provides Internet and email provision via their contractor, Atomwide. The school uses SIMS for MIS and Smoothwall for web filtering and auditing.
Duties and Responsibilities of the team
- To ensure all PCs, tablets and laptops are functioning correctly and repair where necessary.
- To return faulty hardware to the manufacturer for repair following appropriate procedures.
- To maintain projectors in accordance with the Projector Maintenance Policy.
- To maintain the ICT asset register when equipment is moved or updated.
- To provide staff and students with software support in a formal or informal environment.
- To quality check student usage of the Internet and network.
- To install authorised software locally to staff tablets and PCs.
- To build PCs, tablets and laptops to relevant configuration on the network.
Data Protection and Recovery
- To check the anti-virus software is up to date and scanning the servers and workstations successfully as directed by the Network Manager.
- To action any virus found on the network immediately.
- To complete backups each day/week/term in accordance with the BackUp Policy.
- To ensure tick sheets are completed daily for the success/failure of each backup.
- To periodically test the backups by running a test restore.
- To restore data from backups on request.
User Account Management
- To create and delete network, email and software accounts as directed by the ICT Network Manager.
- To manage accounts (including password changes, printer credits etc.)
The person appointed to this post will:
- Have a passion for ICT and a desire to understand the latest trends
- Have some experience of Microsoft, Apple MACs and printers
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have the ability to relate to young people effectively
- Have the ability to work as part of a team or alone as necessary
- Be reliable and punctual
- Be able to keep calm under pressure or during unexpected circumstances
- Have common sense and initiative
- Be aware of confidentiality guidelines
- Have knowledge of child protection issues and when it is important to pass on information
- Have a flexible approach to work
- Have a commitment to equal opportunities and to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
Any offer of employment will be subject to an Enhanced Check with the Disclosure and Barring Service, health declaration and full background checks.
Jail Ln, Biggin Hill, Westerham, TN16 3AU
172 total views, 9 today